A past article on this blog talked about the six reasons you should work with an ERP consultant and the very first reason on the list was for software selection advice. While you may have a working knowledge of ERP or have a pretty good idea of what ERP system you may want to implement in your business, knowing the ins and outs of ERP and the industries that use it is your ERP consultant’s number one priority. If you’re thinking about making the move to a new system or implementing a system for the first time, make sure to go through these questions with your ERP consultant before making any major choices.
ERP Evaluation Questions to Ask Your ERP Consultant:
- Will the software support your current processes? Most companies make a choice to implement an ERP system to improve and enhance their current processes. For example, many companies aim at increasing system integration and standardization across the business and any other locations. One thing you want to make sure of is that you choose a solution that will bend to fit your needs, not require you to make major changes on your part.
- What are your thoughts on us going with a cloud vs premise solution? As you surely know, the cloud is a hot topic in the ERP world and your ERP consultant will be able to help you sort through all of the information out there on the internet and shine a light on the pros and cons of both deployment options and how they will impact your company.
- What are all of the costs? This is an incredibly important question to ask your consultant to make sure your implementation does not go over budget. With the multiple deployment options and service levels available for each ERP system, there is a lot to map out from a cost perspective. Be sure to cover topics such as licensing, support, training, future upgrades, customizations, etc.
- Will it growt with my company? While making sure you’re supported today is important, making sure the ERP system you choose will support you in the future is just as important- if not more so to ensure positive ROI, system longevity, and successful operations.
- What kind of ROI can you expect? While your ERP consultant will not be able to give you an exact and concrete number, they will be able to share past customer’s success, industry research, and other information to help you paint a picture of what the ROI in your organization will look like.
Once you’ve selected your system, it’s time to come up with an ERP implementation plan. Your ERP consultant can help you there too, but it’s always best to do some research on your own. The white paper below can help you get a handle on the do’s and don’ts of ERP implementation before you sit down to talk with your consultant.