Have you suffered through ERP projects with consultants that did not understand your company? What about a consultant who did not work well with you and your team? A consultant that took too long? Went over budget? Just plain failed at making your ERP project successful and as easy as possible? You’re not alone!
Choosing the right ERP consultant is paramount to having a successful project that stays within your budget, within your time-frame, and doesn’t make your ERP implementation team rip out all of their hair…but how do you choose the right one?
5 ways you can make sure you choose the right ERP consultant for your project:
1) Be prepared: before you start actively calling around and talking with potential consultants, ask yourself the following questions:
- What do you want to see in a consulting team?
- What do you HAVE to see?
- What can you compromise on?
- What is your budget?
- Is there any wiggle room in that budget?
- What is your time frame?
Once you have answered these questions you can begin calling potential consultants and see if they work with your answers. This will help you narrow down your options and get you off on the right foot.
2) Choose someone you think will fit into your team. You want your ERP consultant to be an extension of your team and your business. After the first step you should have some options to choose between- do you think any of those options will fit in and work well with your team? Any of them who will clash with the way you work and the culture of your business?
3) Have a plan: come up with a plan of action so you have a clear guide to follow when it comes to compensation, performance indicators, time frames, and budgets.
4)Start at the finish line: what do you want to see when this project is over? Go over that end goal with your ERP consultant and make a plan with them to figure out how you will get there with their help. be very clear with your consultant as to what you want to see at the end, what you want to measure along the way, and monitor those things tirelessly
5 Be an open book: your ERP consultant’s job is ERP, your job is your widget manufacturing company. They know ERP; you know your industry, work together! If they have questions always strive to make yourself available to answer them all. The better your ERP consultant knows your business processes and the way your industry works, the more successful your project will be.